10.3.09

no day like today

This week started with a hit to the heart. Gut-wrenching news--news that makes you pinch yourself because there’s no way it could possibly be real. News that a 17-year-old who was alive and so full of life at school on Friday wouldn’t walk through the doors of school Monday morning. News that Marcell was playing basketball one minute and died the next.

This news that came Sunday evening was a reminder that today is a gift and tomorrow is not promised. As Chicago Hope works through this loss of a friend, a teammate, a classmate, a student, there are a lot of tears, frustration, questions, but also stories and memories are being shared and the memories bring smiles and laughs – because that is just who Marcell was. There is a celebrating that is going on for this child’s 18 years.

I posted just last week about celebrating the little things. Today I finished that bright orange book that Michelle let me borrow. This book that reminds me to be happy deep down in the core of who I am. It makes me tear up at times too, but mostly it makes me happy. I want to keep being happy and keep celebrating the way Shauna talks about celebrating in her bright orange book.

Because even when things are gray and rainy, and death sneaks up, and loss leaves confusion and hurt and anger, I realize that just having today is a reason enough to celebrate. Shauna writes this:

We could just live our normal, day-to-day lives, saving all the good living up for someday, but I think today, just plain today, is worth it. I think it’s our job, each of us, to live each day like it’s a special occasion, because we’ve been given a gift. We get to live in this beautiful world.


So my goal is to live well.

What would you do to make every day worth while?

4 comments:

The Keeler Family said...

your writing always moves me to tears...but i needed that today.
I will love more,complain less, turn off the phone and take time to get on the floor and play with my buddy. I will cuddle longer and read that extra book before bed. Life is just too precious. Thanks for the reminder that today is a gift.
Love you lou and you and the rest of school is in my prayers

servantboy said...

Well said young lady, I'll try to take it to heart. Perhaps we all need a bright orange book (maybe even an orange and blue one - there is room for some exploring that color combination beyond your alma mater). Love you. Dad

Michelle said...

1.) glad you liked the book.
2.) could you send me ragamuffin?
3.) when i 1st read your blog i kept hearing that "Rent" song in my head.
4.) i miss you.
5.) xx.

Michelle said...

since you don't "Tweet" yet, I will have to personally tell you about the best website i've ever discovered: www.colr.org. check it out. you can like upload a picture, and the pull various colors from it and make schemes for you and produce html codes for them so you can change the colors of your blog. so don't be surprised if mine changes often. :D